Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Demise of the Tube Sock

My sock collection
Tube Socks 1981
I had no idea I was so behind the times.  Who knew that running socks had become so high tech?  It turns out that socks not only provide warmth and padding these days, but they wick away sweat, hug the foot to prevent blisters, wrap the arch for support and stability -- and more.  After reading a few reviews, I feel ashamed to admit my ignorance -- and that I only own three types.  It seems cotton is out  (causes blisters and retains moisture). I also need different socks for different seasons: lightweight summer socks with a multi-yarn, dual layer construction that provides ventilation, and warmer winter socks, preferably made of something called "Smart Wool." And of course, it's a bonus if they're eco-friendly.  They've even come out with socks that look like gloves for your toes.  And to think we used to run in cheap tube socks!  How did we survive?


No comments:

Post a Comment