Monday, December 3, 2012

Taking It Up A Notch

The good news is that I'm more than a month ahead of where I expected to be in my training.  The bad news is that I now have to get serious about building my endurance. 

The Weight Room
Since I can now run two to three miles nonstop (albeit extremely slowly), I've been consulting various training programs to figure out what to do next.  My goal is to add an additional mile to my distance every two weeks.  Most of the programs advise taking a day or two to cross train each week to help prevent injuries.

That presents a dilemma -- how to cross train.  I despise the stationary bicycle.  I really don't want to join a gym or go to a pool (no time, no money, not to mention the whole exercising in public thing).  And forget doing aerobics in front of a TV.   I feel way too silly and self-conscious, even with the curtains closed.

After spending some time researching online, I've decided to do the following. I'll continue with one long walk each weekend.  Right now that's a ten or eleven mile walk at the canal.  Eventually, I'll need to replace that with a long run, but for now it can be my cross-training day.

I also need to get back into my weight routine.  I love lifting weights, and while my equipment isn't sophisticated, I can do it in the privacy of my basement, which is a huge bonus for me.

Stage two of my training begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment